Home Blog WEC Season 2013 6 hours of Sao Paulo: a blow in Brazil

Article

back

6 hours of Sao Paulo: a blow in Brazil12.02.2014

article

bresilBad luck hits Toyota at Interlagos
The Sao Paulo 6 Hours lasted only 35 minutes for the Toyota Racing team who withdrew its car N.8 after it was taken out by an LMP2 car. The incident paved the way for another Audi success with the N°1 led by Marcel Fässler, André Lotterer and Benoît Treluyer.

The facts
From the second row, behind two Audis, the lone Toyota TS013 Hybrid entered experienced a good start in the hands of Frenchman Stéphane Sarrazin. On a circuit which saw its first triumph last year, the German-Japanese outfit could only lament a dramatic turn of luck when Dominik Kraihamer lost his Lotus LMP2 N.32 in the Senna Esses to crash into the Toyota which was about to lap him.

The figure
0. The number of kilometers Anthony Davidson and Sebastien Buemi drove in Interlagos race as the crash in the first prevented them from racing.

The quote
“I am very disappointed for the team; I am very sorry. I was doing my race and I was lapping the LMP2 car in a normal place. He lost control of his car and crashed into me. What can I do? I did my very best to get the car back to the box but it was impossible. It’s a very bad day for us. I am so disappointed because we thought we would be part of a great fight today.” Stephane Sarrazin.

The story
A retirement is even much harder than the prototype was vastly revised with new front wheel arches, engine cover and rear wing in order to significantly increases downforce levels compared to the Le Mans-spec car. The Toyota was fastest on the first day of the event.

Coming up
Circuit of the Americas 6 Hours (Austin, Texas, 22 September)

Classification
Pos Cl Drivers Team/Car Time/Gap
1. P1 Lotterer/Treluyer/Fassler Audi 6h01m26.209s
2. P1 Kristensen/Duval/McNish Audi +3 laps
3. P1 Prost/Heidfeld/Beche Rebellion Lola-Toyota +5 laps
4. P2 Rusinov/Martin/Conway Delta-ADR ORECA-Nissan +13 laps
5. P2 Baguette/Gonzalez/Plowman OAK Morgan-Nissan +14 laps
6. P2 Perez Companc/Minassian/Kaffer Pecom ORECA-Nissan +14 laps
7. P2 Zugel/Jeannette/Wirdheim Greaves Zytek-Nissan +18 laps
8. P2 Nicolet/Merlin/Ihara OAK Morgan-Nissan +21 laps
9. GTE P Bruni/Fisichella AF Ferrari +23 laps
10. GTE P Mucke/Turner Aston Martin +23 laps